Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Day at the Park

Yesterday, I went to the park to play tennis with my friend, James.

My dad drove first drove me to the local tennis court so I could reserve a spot.  After he drove me there, he left to pick up James.  I stood at the court, bouncing a tennis ball on my racket.  I looked at the court to my right and noticed that a little kid was staring at me.  It felt like the world turned it eyes on me.  Very Perturbed, I went back to bouncing my ball on my racket.  It felt like ages past before my dad finally arrived with James.  We exchanged a few pleasantries, and I told him about my new racket, then we started playing tennis.  I thought of little else as the ball went back and forth between us.  Not long after, two of my other friends, Jeremy and Jimmy, came into our court with tennis rackets and asked to play doubles.  At that moment, I knew that we couldn't play anymore serious tennis, as Jeremy and Jimmy were both terrible at this game.  We played for a while, then decided to walk around for a bit.  With no where else to put the tennis rackets, we leaned them against my dad's car.

When we got to the play structure, we found that many of our other friends were there too.  At that moment, Sabrina, Amy, Sarah, and Natalie were all there.  We joined them for a game of "Lava Monster", which is basically tag, but the "monsters" can't come onto the play structure.  Being my lazy self, I just sat on the highest point of the play structure, where no one could reach me.  Of course, the "monsters" cancelled the use of that part of the play structure, so I had to resort to sitting on a bar and continuously moving.

In the middle of our epic game of Lava Monster, two other friends, Eric Lou and Amy's brother (I'm not sure... it might be Sabrina's brother) joined us.  Eric, being his usual creative self, decided to change the game into "grounders".  It is also like tag, except whenever the person that's "it" gets on the play structure, he/ she has to close their eyes.  Whenever someone gets touched by the person that's it, they swap roles.  We all played that game for a while, then Natalie left, so everyone started to leave too, including me.

Overall, this was a very fun and interesting day at the park.

2 comments:

  1. You covered several scenes in this article. Some of these scenes may need further explanation to make them interesting to read.

    The foremost part is on the kid who stared at you. It would be interesting to develop this episode a bit further. I am curious about the kid: why he stared at you? You may not have the answer, but you can speculate it and validate with his behavior. This episode could easily extend into a suspension novel. No kidding :-)

    The second part is on the rackets you put next to my car. From what you wrote, it is almost a waste of paper to write this small detail which is deviate from the main thread of the article. A better way is to tell the reader an interesting story that was evoked by the rackets - the rackets were almost squashed when your dad drove the car without knowing the existence of the rackets. From this episode, you can elevate the pure description to something much larger - the lack of proper communication could cause trouble. Then, you can write that you learned a good lesson.

    To make it short, you will need to write your thought processes over the episodes you experienced to make the article interesting to read.

    Readers always want to see your heart and your brain in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good writer can take a snapshot of a scene and develop an intriguing story out of that snapshot.

    Using Eric's role in the game as an example. You can write an article on him by starting with the description of the snapshot of the game night at the park.

    After describing the game night, you can focus on the "creativity" aspect of Eric. You pull all materials related to Eric's creativity together - things that demonstrate his creative mind. While you describe them, you provide detailed analysis on how he developed his creativity from childhood. You can cover many related details, such as who influenced him, how does he compare with other smart kids in the country, what achievements he has accomplished so far, what's his teachers' and classmates' opinion, etc.

    ReplyDelete